


For school I was able to be in the operating room right next to the patient and doctors operating. I arrived at 6 AM and got dressed into scrubs that looked exactly like all the workers. I was able to see a few surgeries, not anything too serious...they were all made by appointment so none were emergent. I saw a hernia repair, carpal tunnel release, ear tube removal, colonoscopy, and a septoplasty (correction of deviated nasal septum). The last one I was watching (the septoplasty) was quite a long procedure and kind of monotonous. I had this face mask on (I looked exactly like one in those pictures) and I really felt clostrophobic. About halfway through I started to feel funny and light headed so I left the room before I passed out. I don't really think it was what I saw that did it, just the feeling of not being able to breathe. I decided the OR will not be a place I work as a nurse when I graduate. Definitely an experience. I'll be visiting it again in a few weeks for school. Yay.
Good-bye Humphreys!
11 years ago




5 comments:
I am way jealous. I think that would be so much fun.
I have to say that I loved the OR and the whole experiece, alhtough I have to agree that I would not prefer it as a job. How is school going for you this semester so far?
I'm glad to hear that you were smart enough to recognize that you were about to pass out. It took me a while to figure that out. :)
thats a cool experience. some of that would be so interesting to see!
I don't do good with blood and guts and all that stuff- I thought being a teacher was safe- Wrong!! Kids are crazy!!
Post a Comment